The Electric Car

On March 17th, the Tesla Roadster went into production. This is the first production electric sports car.




It goes 0 to 60 in 3.9 seconds and gets the equivalent of 135 miles per gallon. Best of all, IT LOOKS SO COOL!!!!

I wish I could afford one but I don't see that ever happening. However, their next project is called the Whitestar - a four door sedan at about half the price. That puts it in the $50k range which is still more than I can afford but hopefully, they will sell well enough that competition will emerge and prices will come down so that, in 10 years or so, when I finally drive my PT Cruiser into the ground, I'll be able to replace it with something electric.

Why electric?
  • No emissions/pollution

  • No dependence on foreign oil

  • Fewer moving parts - less things to wear out - more reliability

  • Less maintenance - no oil changes, etc.

  • Better mileage/much lower cost of ownership

  • They're just cool!

Living in a city with a large "brown cloud" makes me very aware of pollution and it's effects. We really do need to clean up our air and I think a viable electric car is a big step in the right direction.

Comments