The Party of Opportunity


Thanks to the leadership of Barak Obama, the Democratic Party has been effectively positioning themselves as "The Party of Hope".  However, when you look at their policies, it seems to really be the party of security (as in social security/social programs) or the party of entitlement.  I don't want to be too negative because I know many democrats and they sincerely believe that government intervention is the solution.  Personally, I don't agree with that point of view (which is why I'm a Republican).  However, it seems that my party has lost its way over the last few years and it's time to come back to our roots.

Here are some of the values that have drawn me to the Republican Party:

  • Lower Taxes:  Most everything we buy has been taxed two or three or more times by the time it get's to us (not even counting sales tax).  It's too much.
  • Smaller Government:  Of course our high taxes are paying for a huge, bloated government.  Government needs to be smaller, less redundant, and more agile in order to respond to the needs of the national and international issues facing us as Americans.
  • Less Regulation:  Just as a pure capitalistic economy promotes monopoly and stifles innovation, an over-regulated economy promotes bureacracy, inefficiency, and stifles innovation.  The trick is to find the proper balance.
  • Individual Liberty:  Most Americans don't want to be told what to do.  We don't want to give up our freedom for "the good of the whole" because, at the end of the day, it's "the whole" that suffers.

I see the Republican Party with the potential to help people help themselves.  Our policies should be aimed at giving people the tools they need to succeed on their own.  We are not the party of security but The Party of Opportunity!  

Now I don't know how my points stand up to the official principles of the Republican Party but they're the closest that I've found so I'll stick with them as well as sticking with my personal values.  I think the party is moving in the right direction and I find that very encouraging.

Comments