Some Perspective on the Credit Crisis

I saw a blog today that really got me thinking about the credit crisis and how we're all caught up in worrying about our bank accounts, mortgages, etc.  Sure that stuff is worrisome but, most of us have a roof over our heads, food for our families, leisure time to relax, cars for transportation, AC and heating to keep us comfortable.  How many thousands of families don't have any of that?  How many struggle just to have enough to eat?  How many spend their nights at the mercy of the elements?

My point (and I believe the point of the blog), was that we get so concerned about ourselves that we forget others.  Is our house big enough, are our cars new enough, should I go to restaurant a or restaurant b?  We think we have it tough when we have to waste all that time taking one of our cars in to get an oil change.  We base our votes (we can vote! there's another privilege!) on what the candidate has promised to do for us personally.  I think we get so wrapped up in ourselves, that we make ourselves miserable.

So here's my challenge:  let's get outside of ourselves.  The blog I read encouraged helping others in poorer nations.  That is an excellent and worthy cause.  However, I'm going to ask something harder.  I challenge anybody who reads this to sacrifice their time and do something nice for somebody else every day for at least a week.  It doesn't have to be big.  Offer encouragement to someone who's down.  Get the door for someone with their hands full.  Even the little things can have quite an effect on both the receiver and the giver.

In this time of crisis, let's look outward to how we, personally, can help those in need.  I think you'll find that your problems become less and your happiness will increase as you focus on helping others.  Give it a try!

Comments