Pragmatism vs Practicality

I recently wrote, in another blog, about what I called Gadget Lust - you know, the desire to get those cool gadgets that are coming out all the time.  A desire that can transcend their usefulness and leave you with a cool gadget that you never use.  I've been thinking about that and wondering if it doesn't pertain to politics as well.

Many of us are idealists.  We follow our principles and try to leverage them into policies in an attempt to make the world (or even just our hometown) a better place.  Some days I find myself brimming with ideas and energy and I want to make all of them reality.  It's here that I wonder - perhaps I'm running faster than my feet can carry me.  Perhaps some of these ideas, ideas which sound good and right, are not all they're cracked up to be.

This is a bit of a cautionary tale.  When you come up with a grand idea; one that seems so perfect and right: stop for a bit and reason it out.  Will it really have the effect you think it will?  Are there any unforeseen consequences?  Does it need to be properly vetted before it is made into law?  It is far easier to enact a law/policy than it is to repeal it.  I'm simply urging a little caution (to myself as much as anybody else).  Like to old carpentry saying goes, "Measure twice and cut once."  Let's make sure we know what we're doing before we do it.

Comments