Control Your Money


There's an old saying, "If you don't control your money, then it will control you."  I've taken it to heart and would like to share some blog posts on what I've done and how I've done it.

When you have a large family, you quickly find that your money doesn't go very far.  When you've got 8 people in you household, you find that your income is quickly eaten up by food, clothes, power bills, house payment (a small house just doesn't cut it), etc.  With money going out that fast, you need to keep things under control financially.  Here are some of my financial goals that I will be writing about:

  • Have an effective budget - This is key.  Not only do you need to have a budget, but you need to keep it, control it, and update it regularly.
  • Live frugally - Figure out innovative ways to get what you need/want at less than full retail.  Also realize that as you appreciate what have, you find that you want less (not an easy thing to do).
  • Save money - You never know when you might need it and, with a large family, those needs seem to come often.
But remember, life isn't just about money.  Here are some of my goals toward my family:
  • Spend quality time with each family member - This one is easier said than done but well worth it.
  • Spend quality time with my wife - This, in my opinion, is vital to a happy family.
  • Spend time getting closer to God - This brings a great amount of peace to my life and to my family
  • Have fun! - Having fun doesn't have to be expensive but if it never happens, you're missing out on life. :)
So, those are some of my general goals.  Let me know if there are other things that have helped you keep your finances under control.

Comments