6 Months with my Windows Phone - Still A Fan

There's been a lot of smart phone hype over the last couple of weeks.  A LOT of hype.  There are new Android phones, new Windows phones, and of course, new Apple phones.  Seeing all of the new phones with their new features (except for the broken maps feature on the iPhone) makes me want one.  I can't help it, I love new techie things.

So this post is a little self-therapy.  Something to help me appreciate what I have instead of longing for something I don't.

It's been close to 6 months since I got my Windows Phone and I still love it!  I did an initial review of the phone back in April and it hasn't disappointed me since.  I use the calendars to keep track of my personal and my work schedules.  I also get to peek in on my wife's schedule so that I don't double book her for something.  Honestly, I don't know how I got along without just the calendars.  Seeing what's going on with the family, the reminders for appointments, and the feeling that my life somewhere near being under control is really nice.

I also like the contacts, especially that it aggregates my Windows Live, Facebook, Linked In, and Google contacts into one.  It's a LOT easier to find people that I need to get ahold of.

I like the texting (organizing everything into one thread per person), the weather app, the flashlight app (I use that one a lot!) and I can't say enough good things about the GPS app, Nokia Drive.  It has not steered me wrong yet.  It's easy to use and easy to follow the turn by turn directions.  It's made vacations a lot less stressful and helped me find things a lot faster.  It's also a great media player.  I have my music as well as General Conference, and some of the kids' music on there.  Oh, and did I mention I can make calls with it too?

So, here's the deal.  It makes my life easier, more organized, and less stressful.  It's not magical, it's just a tool and used properly, any tool can make your life better.

So, with all of the hype over the new things coming out, I have to sit back and think - what do those new phones do (that's useful to me) that my phone doesn't?  The answer:  I don't know.

I guess that means, I get to sit back, watch all the people lining up for the latest and greatest and think:  "There are a lot of people spending a lot of time, effort, and money to get a device that, arguably, will not save them any more time, effort, or money than their current device."  I may need to repeat that to myself a few times but at the end of the day, at least for me, it really is true.

Comments