The Sound of Music!

So I took my two older children (11 and 10) to see a local high school version of The Sound of Music.  It was enjoyable but also surprising in a few ways.  I think it was well above the level that my old high school could have done (go Ki-Be!).  The singing was well done and the acting was very good.  The only issue was that some of the microphones kept cutting in and out (sure, not quite broadway but did I mention it was a high school musical?) and that it ran quite a bit longer than I expected - it was 3 hours total.  However, it was good enough that after two hours, during intermission, I asked my kids if they wanted to go home (we are one hour past their regular bed time at this point) and both of them said they wanted to see the rest.  So we stayed.

The story followed the movie with a few changes that didn't really change the story line.  It was fun to watch and well done.  In fact, there was one scene that really affected me.  During the music festival scene (right before the family escapes from the Nazis), they dropped a bunch of Nazi banners from the ceiling and had a bunch of Nazis take up positions all around the auditorium.  It was downright creepy!  I think I got a very small inkling of what it might be like to live under an oppressive regime and it was not good!  However, they kind of made up for it by having Rolf do the right thing in the end and let the family get away (I told you it wasn't exactly like the movie).

Overall I had a good time with my kids and enjoyed the musical.

Comments