Smart Home: Amazon Updates Alexa-Enabled-Groups To Work With Insteon Switches

I like Insteon and I really like my Amazon Echo.  Having them work together is the best thing that ever happened to my smart home.  However, they don't always work together perfectly.  I have run into my fair share of glitches and gotchas - enough to be pretty frustrated on occasion.  That said, it always warms my heart when a bug gets squashed.  That's why I'm writing today.

One of the issues that I've had is with something called Alexa-Enabled Groups.  This allows you to link a group of lights with an Echo device and control them without requiring a room name.  For example, you could say, "Alexa, turn on the lights" instead of "Alexa, turn on the lights in the kitchen".  Maybe that's a little thing but it just makes things flow more smoothly.  The problem is that I couldn't set this up with my Insteon switches.  It worked great with my Hue lights but my switches were registered as switches with Alexa so I couldn't create a group.  It was very frustrating.

First I blamed Insteon.  After all, if it worked for Hue, why wouldn't it work for Insteon.  After some research I found that my view was unfair.  My Hue lights were actual light bulbs while my Insteon switches were switches - and I do have switches that control ceiling fans and not lights.  I realized that the real issue was with Amazon - they would not allow you to change an item from a switch to a light.  That was the issue.

Well, it's an issue no more!  With the latest update to the Alexa app, Amazon has enabled designating a switch as a light.  I tried it out as soon as I found out and it works great!  No more "Alexa, turn on the light in the living room."  Now I just walk into the living and say "Alexa, lights on" and the lights come on.

It's pretty easy to set up as well.

  • Open the Alexa App
  • Tap the menu
  • Tap on Smart Home
  • Tap on Groups on the top menu
  • Tap on Add Group
  • Make it a Smart Home Group
  • Choose a name for your group
  • Add devices to your group (be sure to add an Echo or it can't be an Alexa-Enabled group)
  • Tap Save and you're done!

It's the little things that make a big difference.

Comments