Insteon Hub - The Achilles Heel of Insteon

Insteon Hub
A couple of weeks before Christmas, my Insteon hub died.  There were no pyrotechnics or alarms and to the disappointment of the TV generation, nothing exploded and no people were thrown across the room.  What did happen is that I tried to turn on some lights with my Amazon Echo and it told me that it couldn't connect to the Insteon hub.  That's weird - so I took a look at it.

The Insteon hub is a plain, white, square device with a single light on the front that is green when all is well and red when there's a problem (usually a network issue).  I looked at the hub and the light was off.  That's new.  I unplugged it and plugged it back in.  Nothing.  I hit the reset button (which I had never before used).  Nothing.  It was dead as a doornail.

This was quite a surprise.  My hub had served me well for over two years.  Even worse, the two year warranty had expired a couple of months before.  Bother!

However, all was not lost.  All of my Insteon switches still worked.  All of my scenes (like the ones to control the buttons on my 8 button keypad) still worked.  What was broken?  My Amazon Echo integration and my timed scenes.  That was my big ouch because I had just set up scenes to turn on my Christmas lights (indoor and outdoor) at sunset and turn the off at 10pm.  Well, no more automated Christmas lights.  That was lousy timing!

Of course I want my Christmas lights on their timer again so I immediately started researching what I needed to do.  What I found was that the Insteon devices and scenes are more or less hard coded to the hub.  This means that I can't transfer my setup to a new hub, I have to start over.  I've got about 12 Insteon devices and probably that many scenes set up.  Not cool!

The forums where I found this information suggested that I reach out to Insteon support to see if they could help.  It sounded like a good idea so I fired off an email.  A couple days later Insteon responded that they were sorry my hub died and would send me a new one after I supply my receipt and a picture of it.  I thought it was out of warranty but if I can get a free replacement - great!

A little while later I got confirmation that they were sending it and a couple days after Christmas, I received it.  Kudos to Insteon support!  However, up to this point my questions on how to transfer my account to the new hub had been ignored and the official Insteon documentation for installing a new hub instruct you to delete all of your devices and scenes from your old hub, delete your account, and recreate everything on the new hub.  Not only did I not want to go through the pain of doing that, I couldn't because my old hub was dead and so I couldn't log into it to drop scenes and delete devices.  So I reached out to support again.

This is where it got kind of weird.  I asked if I really had to delete everything and how to do it if my old hub was dead.  They responded with a "please confirm that you want to remove all your devices and delete your account" email with a listing of all my devices and their IDs (which allows me to re-set them up without having to manually pair each device).  Actually, I wanted to know if that was my only option.  That question was completely ignored.  Not happy but tired enough of the half answers, etc. that I just said yes and the next day they confirmed that my old account was deleted.

So now I'm ready to set up my new hub.  I created a new account and, since I already had the IDs for my devices, I was able to set them up quickly and then recreate my scenes.  By quickly, I mean a couple of hours of documenting what I already had and about an hour of recreating everything.

Success!  Everything works again!  Now here's my issue:  Do I want to purchase more items from Insteon which will make this process even worse the next time my hub dies?  The short answer is no - what's the point in having a cloud service if the service is unrecoverable if your hub dies.  The longer answer is - if not, what do I replace it with?

Is there a system out that that works just as well but doesn't have this issue?  Echo PlusSmarthingsWink?  Will they have the instant response time of the Insteon?  Will they be around for the long haul (remember Revolv - it's gone now).  That's the conundrum: Is the solution more worse than the problem?  I'm crossing my fingers that I'll have a couple of years to figure it out before my hub dies again.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm exactly where you're at. Frustrating! Any luck finding a hub through a new company? Cheers!
Jeff said…
I'm still researching. Companies like Homeseer and Vera have hubs you can back up but they are more expensive and can be complicated. I really want the Echo Plus to work because that's my primary interface to my smart home but it's super limited right now. Wink looks OK but I don't think you can back up the hub. Smartthings looks terrible because nothing will work if you lose your internet connection.

If I had to choose today, I think I would choose the Vera Plus (getvera.com) but I'm not completely sold on anything at this point.

I think part of my problem is that I really do like Insteon. Maybe they'll introduce a way to back up your hub and solve my problem for me - I can always dream!
David Maloney said…
I know it's late for you, but mine went out this week. Seems like a widespread problem. My hub is 2 years 11 months old, but it appears that they're going to repair it (no reprogramming needed!) at no cost. Hope this helps people who find your blog in the future:

https://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/insteon-products/insteon-hub/104943-how-to-proceed-with-repair-replacement-of-a-hub-that-is-no-longer-powering-on
Anonymous said…
If you use something like an ISY instead of an insteon hub, then you can keep a backup of your programming and scenes. I'm not sure this will work with any of the voice command stuff though as I don't trust/use it.
Unknown said…
A couple of things we'd like to share with you and your readers regarding this issue:

1. We have a migration path that we are currently beta testing. This will prevent the need to reset devices and rebuild if a hub fails. We hope to have this rolled out in the coming weeks.

2. Last year (mid 2017) we began shipping revision 2.4 of the Insteon Hub which directly addresses the source of the failure in some environments. This will improve the life of the product so that an account migration will never be necessary.

Thanks for the article and for being a valued customer.

-Insteon Team

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
bigpondsupport said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
I read the article, and it pretty much mirrors my situation except that I only have 4 devices on mine. I mainly wanted the thermostat remote control more than anything. Mine died this last Christmas (2018) as well and is about 2 1/2 years old, and won't power back up. Will be contacting Insteon. Like one of the other comments, I am a little jittery about buying any more devices for this hub if it looks like Insteon won't be around, and if this hub issue is turning out to be unreliable.
(for some reason the google account wants to use girlfriends email, so I provided mine here and listed my identity as anonymous)
Roger
sodakroger@yahoo.com
Anonymous said…
Insteon now offers a migration option for transferring your existing hub account information to a brand new hub. Reach out to support@insteon.com for instructions.

Regards,
Insteon Support
Jeff said…
That is great news! I hope I never have to use it but I'm glad it's now available!
Laura said…
Sounds like they knew this and just let us all sit until the inevitable happened. Mine died this evening. Worked fine last night. I wonder if it "updated" and croaked. I emailed them. I have no clue as to where my receipt is but you'd think they'd know from registration.
Anonymous said…
My Insteon hub also just died, had to send a picture of hub to support, which had todo twice, I have looked at other systems like Z wave. I use Z wave for door locks, they disconnect all the time, very limited to the distance from the hub, Smartthings tells you their new mesh network eliminates dead spots, yes for WiFi only, Z wave is still limited to one hub, other mesh hubs do not repeat signal.. Insteon come out with door locks! Z wave sucks! .
Anonymous said…
Received my new Hub, plugged it in,but some switches and devices are working consistently. Before Insteon was rock solid Scenes have become intermittent
Anything I can do?...
Bruce said…
I know I'm a couple of years late, but look into ISY from Universal Devices. I've been using it with Insteon devices since about 2008 (upgraded once a few years ago as well).
It allows you to make a backup of your ISY so you can restore it.

Lots of updates and support. You can use it with other devices (Z-wave, X10 etc).